Ask any Indian kid at random, what they want to become when they grow up, and 80% of the time you will hear they want to be a doctor(MBBS in Bangladesh). Each of them may have their reasons for it – from the unavailability of adequate facilities in their native place to it being a respectable and secure career option – these numbers are a good indicator of the number of students vying for those limited seats in government medical colleges. And that is where the nightmare starts; lakhs of students competing for hardly 2000 odd seats.
And for those who can’t make it the option is to choose between paying the extremely high fees of private medical colleges or letting their dream go. However, in recent times, this trend has changed to a much better alternative. More and more Indian students are looking at getting their MBBS degrees from colleges outside India. There are so many doors that open with this plan of action, some in faraway countries and some closer home. One such destination that has been gaining popularity with Indian students in Bangladesh.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in Bangladesh at Lowest Package
So what is it that is attracting an increasing number of Indian students to opt for studying MBBS in Bangladesh? There are several reasons for this, and some of them are a major positive for all students. First and foremost, there are no separate entrance examinations, even to get into the best medical colleges in Bangladesh. All a student needs is a good GPA in their secondary examinations.
The next important factor is the extremely low cost of education as compared to the private medical colleges in India. And an even more beneficial point is that for students from any of the SAARC countries, the entire tuition fee is waived off in all colleges including the best medical colleges to study MBBS in Bangladesh. So, the student only has to bear the living costs, and that is like a dream come true for students having a background of limited means.
Another advantage is that almost all colleges offering MBBS in Bangladesh are approved by Medical Council of India (MCI), WHO and other leading organisations, which gives recognition to the degree worldwide.
MBBS from Bangladesh Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
As easy as it may be to get into a good medical college, all international students need to fit in a set of eligibility criteria for pursuing their MBBS from Bangladesh. Below is a list of the eligibility criteria that are a pre-requisite for applying to any of the MBBS programs
- The candidate must have completed at least 17 years of age at the end of the calendar year (31st December) before the year in which the admission is sought
- If the candidate has taken a gap after their 12th exams, to prepare for the medical entrances or any other reason, the gap should not be more than two years
- The GPA requirements are mentioned year to year for admission purposes
- For international students from India and other countries, the GPA requirement in Biology is 3.5 or above
- The grades for individual subjects are also considered, and the candidate must have received at least a “C” in all the subjects individually.
- The candidate must have cleared the NEET – UG
Documents Required for MBBS in Bangladesh 2019
If you satisfy the eligibility criteria, the next step in the process is applying for the admissions. During this application process for securing admission in MBBS in Bangladesh in the year 2019, you will need to provide the following documents in triplicate at the time of applying.
- Copy of Passport
- Ten passport size photographs
- 10th Standard Mark sheet (scanned copy)
- 12th standard mark sheet (scanned copy)
- NEET – UG 2019 scorecard (scanned copy)
All the documents need to be duly attested by the Ministry of Education and authorised by the embassy before applying.
Why is Studying MBBS in Bangladesh a Good Decision?
When applying for an MBBS from a medical college in Bangladesh, the question that will play in your mind is whether you are making a good decision. Although, the answer to this depends from individual to individual, here are a few reasons to support the fact that this may be a good decision after all
- Extremely low cost of education as well as the living costs. For students of SAARC countries, the tuition fee is waived off, bringing down the costs even further
- The medical colleges in Bangladesh offering MBBS are recognised worldwide by renowned bodies like WHO and MCI
- No entrance examination, meaning with your marks in 10 + 2, you have a good chance of fulfilling your dream of becoming a doctor
- The good infrastructure and standard of education in the colleges, makes studying MBBS in Bangladesh, worth your while
- The practical approach to teaching being adopted by the medical colleges in Bangladesh is a game changer as they give a great amount of exposure to the student in terms of being hands-on with whatever is being taught to them
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in Bangladesh
Does all this mean that studying MBBS in Bangladesh is a smooth ride, without any challenges? However much we wish that to be true, that isn’t the case ever in real life. And so, even studying in a medical college in Bangladesh comes with its own set of challenges
- Forgetting that waiver as a student from a SAARC nation, your GPA needs to be 9.5 or above
- The language of communication is Bengali, and you need to be at least familiar with it, to get through your daily life, even if the curriculum is delivered in English
- You need to thoroughly check before applying whether the university is recognised by the Medical Council of India (MCI) or not. Else, you may be heading for a lot of trouble even after completing your MBBS course
- The license to practice in India or any other country after the completion of MBBS is not automatic. Instead, the student needs to appear for an exam as well as qualify that to get their license from the MCI
Facilities provided to Indian Students in Bangladesh
As a student from India, there are several facilities you may avail, that give you an advantage over the other international students. Some of these facilities are
- Availability of good Indian style food, thanks to the proximity and cultural similarities of the two countries
- Easy availability of accommodation and that too at a low cost
- Manageable costs for daily essentials, bringing down the overall cost of living
- The language is also quite familiar and easy to pick up for an Indian student, giving them an upper hand as compared to the other international students
Course Duration of MBBS in Bangladesh
A major advantage for Indian students pursuing their MBBS in Bangladesh is the fact that the course pattern is the same as that in India and hence the course duration is also similar. Even in the best medical colleges, the pattern remains the same – 5 years of study followed by one year of mandatory rotatory internship.
The internship after MBBS is optional for Indian students as they can complete the same once they are back in India after the course.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Bangladesh
A very important consideration for every student taking admission in any college across the world is the amount to be paid as fees. There can be multiple components of the fees like the tuition fee and the hostel fee. Here is an estimated picture of the MBBS fee structure for the best colleges in Bangladesh as per the list of colleges released by MCI
Name of Medical College Total Fees (INR)
Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College 24,70,000
Dhaka National Medical College 29,00,000
Barind Medical College 23,00,000
Monno Medical College 22,50,000
Sylhet Women’s Medical College 22,00,000
Uttara Adhunik Medical College 26,50,000
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in Bangladesh for Indian Students
Having taken a look at this latest trend of Indian students going for studying MBBS courses in Bangladesh, it is easy to observe that there is a whole set of advantages the students are feeling. Else, this may have gone down as a fad. Instead, the number of students opting for it is increasing every year. Here is a list of potential advantages a student may get on enrolling for an MBBS course in Bangladesh
- Extremely low cost of education for the entire duration of the five years as compared to some of the other countries
- Easy accessibility due to the geographical proximity of the countries
- Cultural similarities making it easier and faster to settle down and adjust to the new environment
- No entrance examination, taking the stress of appearing for multiple exams and their scores
- Worldwide recognition of the degree, as well as an abundance of MCI, approved medical colleges
- Some of the best hands-on experience that a student can wish for is available in the medical colleges of Bangladesh. This is because the approach to teaching is more practical and experiential than other countries
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in Bangladesh
Like every coin has two sides, every opportunity has both advantages as well as disadvantages. We saw the advantages of going for an MBBS course in Bangladesh previously. In this section, we take a look at the disadvantages of the same
- The grade requirements in 12th for an Indian student to get admission is really high and hence difficult to attain for most students. To get a fee waiver, the score asks can go as high as 95% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- The recognition of some of the colleges can be difficult to trace, making it a serious threat to the student’s career
- Some of the colleges do not allow the interns to get hands-on experience, thereby limiting the learning opportunity for them. Or else, they may be asked to work on a dummy, which again does not solve the purpose
- To practice in India after the course, the students need to appear for and clear the screening test is conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI) before they are allowed to
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Bangladesh
Getting an MBBS from Bangladesh does not, in any way, hinder the job opportunities for a student in India, nor does it give them an upper hand over the other candidates. Any student having completed their MBBS abroad, need to appear for a screening test being conducted by MCI.
Only when they clear the test, are they allowed to practice in India. Once the student has passed this examination, they have the same job opportunities in India as the students who chose to pursue their MBBS course from India.
Ques 1: What is the total cost of MBBS in Bangladesh?
Ans: The average total cost of MBBS in Bangladesh is one of the minimum, the world over and can range anywhere between 22 lakhs to 35 lakhs for the entire duration of 5 years. This means the cost comes as low as 4.4 lakh to 7 lakh per annum.
Ques 2: How is Khwaja Yunus Medical College for studying MBBS?
Ans 2: Khwaja Yunus Medical College is one of the top ten medical universities in Bangladesh and is MCI approved, hence is highly sought after by Indian students. Also, the state of the art infrastructure combined with low fees makes it a very attractive option for the students.
Ques 3: Does Indian Student Require Passport & Visa to study in Bangladesh?
Ans 3: Yes Indian students must have both a passport (valid for the next 18 months) and a Visa to study in Bangladesh. The passport is asked for right at the application stage to validate the authenticity of the student.