While Medical Science is a very sought-after field of study in India, several students fail to aspire it in India itself because of a myriad of obstacles. Despite having several good medical colleges, they are either too expensive or have very few seats such that several medical aspirants fail to get their quality education and eventually give up on their dreams. However, it is relieving to know that there are other universities outside India, which offer the same structured course in MBBS which are easier on the pockets and also provide quality education. Several students look up to nations in Europe for the same and other universities across Europe and Asia. Nonetheless, there are also options closer to your homeland, one of them being Nepal. It shares our national boundary, doesn’t require a Visa to enter and has a plethora of medical universities which are eager to help you pursue your medical passions. The following article shall explain how and why one should consider Nepal for their MBBS course.
Nepal has a plethora of medical colleges. It is beautiful country setting in the foothills of Himalayas and has some great offerings for medical students who are too frustrated with the Indian medical schools where the prices are either too high in private colleges, and there’s an extreme demand of marks in government colleges. The course and structure of the course are much similar to the ones we have an India. However, in a lower fees package, the universities of Nepal have a lot to offer including quality education and amazing infrastructure. There are several MCI approved colleges in Nepal, and that should not create any hassle in getting jobs in India. The universities are well-approved by international organisations like WHO and UNESCO. The cost of living and accommodation in Nepal is also very reasonable. Being so close to India, Nepal can be an ideal place to study and plan out an individual’s dreams in the field of medicine.
Eligibility Criteria For MBBS from Nepal for Indian Students
Here is a list of guidelines that you must keep in mind before applying for a course of MBBS in Nepal.
- In order to be eligible, the candidate must be 17 or more than 17 at the time of their application for the MBBS Program.
- The applicant is required to have completed their 12th Boards exam with English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry as the main subjects and must have secured not less than 50% in the above-mentioned subjects plus an overall aggregate of 50%.
- The applicant must qualify the entrance exam conducted by the medical universities in Nepal.
- The applicant must submit the Eligibility Certificate issued by MCI.
List of Documents, which are Required for MBBS in Nepal 2019
In order to secure admission in a university in Nepal, make sure that you have the following documents:
- Age Certificate- The certificate must be duly signed by the Head of Institute last studied.
- Conduct Certificate- The certificate must also be duly signed by the Head of Institute last studied.
- Nationality Certificate- It can be a photocopy of either the applicant’s passport or identity card or citizenship card which must be issued by a competent authority.
- Mark sheets
- Transfer certificate
- Migration certificate
- A self-addressed envelope for sending an acknowledgement card.
- Interview Letters
Please note that you must only submit photocopies of the original copies. Original copies are only required at the time of admission.
Why is Study MBBS in Nepal, Is it Good or Bad?
Nepal is a great place to study and here are some of the reasons why you should consider it for a degree in MBBS:
- Applicants don’t need a Visa or Passport to study in Nepal. India and Nepal share friendly ties to the Indian students usually do not have to go through any rigorous document verification.
- MBBS fee is quite reasonable in Nepal; even the private colleges are cheaper than the ones in India.
- Nepal enjoys a very pleasant climate which makes it a very alluring place.
- English and Hindi are common languages in Nepal so you will not have trouble in mingling with the community.
- Nepal will feel like a home away from Home as there are a lot of Indian doctors who practice in Nepal and you will often run into people from India.
- No IELTS or TOEFL is required.
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in Nepal
Despite the many perks that Nepal has to offer, one cannot overlook the challenges one might face while undertaking the course. Here is a list of things you should keep in mind before applying for an MBBS course in Nepal:
- International Students are required to learn the local language as an extra subject, and that can entail some added burden.
- The training of surgery is often conducted on dead bodies instead of dead bodies, and that deprives the students of real experience.
- In hospitals and nursing homes, overseas students are not permitted to conduct on the patients during their internship time.
- There can be a language barrier as not everyone you meet is bound to be well versed in English.
List of Facilities provided to Indian Students in Nepal
Studying is Nepal is a very viable option for Indian students as it comes with its own perks. Being very close to the National boundary, there are several conveniences over studying in any other country outside India. These additional facilities make it almost home for several students applying for MBBS in Nepal. Here is a list of the same-
- No donation fee
- No visa requirement
- Recognised degree
- Affordable Fees
- Quality education
- Fresh environment
- A lot of MCI colleges to choose from
Course Duration of MBBS in Nepal
The course duration of MBBS in Nepal is the same as that in India, which is four and a half years with one year for an internship. The candidate has the option of completing the internship either in Nepal or in India. For MS and MD course, the course duration is three years. For a PhD, the course duration is two years.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Nepal
Tuition fee to acquire an MBBS degree in Nepal can cost around thirty to forty lakh rupees. To add to the perks, Nepal offers cheap accommodation and transportation facilities. Here is a list of MCI approved universities along with their fee structure which will guide you to choose your dream college correctly.
|Name of the Medical Universities||Tuition Fees 1st Year||Tuition Fees 2nd to 6th Year|
|Biratnagar Medical College, Biratnagar||25,00,000 INR||6,50,000 INR|
|Devdaha Medical College||24,00,000 INR||6,00,000 INR|
|Karol Marcinkowski Medical University, Poznan||25,00,000 INR||8,00,000 INR|
|Kathmandu Medical College, Kathmandu||25,00,000 INR||8,00,000 INR|
|Nepal Medical College and Teaching Hospital||27,00,000 INR||12,50,000 INR|
|Manipal College Of Medical Sciences, Pokhara||25,00,000 INR||12,50,000 INR|
|Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar||25,00,000 INR||7,50,000 INR|
|Nepal Ganj Medical College, Nepal||30,00,000 INR||6,50,000 INR|
|Lumbini Medical College, Palpa||24,00,000 INR||6,00,000 INR|
|Universal College Of Medical Sciences||25,00,000 INR||9,00,000 INR|
|National Medical College, Birganj||15,00,000 INR||15,00,000 INR|
|Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara||25,00,000 INR||6,50,000 INR|
|KIST Medical College||25,00,000 INR||7,00,000 INR|
|Chitwan Medical College, Chitwan||25,00,000 INR||7,00,000 INR|
|Janaki Medical College||20,00,000 INR||6,50,000 INR|
Advantages of Studying MBBS in Nepal for Indian Students
- The tuition fees are low for students in Nepal.
- Some universities in Nepal also offer free education for International students
- Nepal offers good quality education for MBBS students
- Nepal is a beautiful country to explore and will help the students to look beyond their curriculum and have fun during their stay in Nepal.
- A lot of students from all over the world come to Nepal to study MBBS, and that will help you to engage with students from different parts of the world.
- Mostly all the medical universities in Nepal are recognised by MCI and WHO
- Nepal offers a lot of vacancies for doctors, and hence students can work in Nepal after completion of their course.
- Indian students find it easier to settle in Nepal as most of the population converse in English, and this makes it very easy to settle in the country.
- Nepal is cheap, and students do not find it challenging to find affordable accommodation.
- Nepal has various universities that offer the medical program, and thus candidates have high chances of getting in their desired university as there are ample seats.
- Nepal is exceptionally safe for women, and hence they can pursue their career without any hassle.
- Nepalese are very accepting and welcome people from all faith, and thus it is easy for an Indian student to settle in the country.
- Medical colleges in Nepal have a lot of Indian teachers and hence a good reason for Indian students to study in Nepal
- Nepal is close to India, and thus for an Indian student, it becomes easy to travel back home at a cheap rate.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in Nepal
Although there are a lot of advantages of studying MBBS in Nepal yet, one must keep in mind the disadvantages that come with the choice of studying MBBS in Nepal. Here is a list which broadly covers the troubles which an Indian student can face during the course of his/her education in Nepal
- The localities mostly converse in local language and owing to this reason, and it is mandatory for the MBBS students to study local language as a part of their course which might add more work to the existing workload and can prove to be taxing for the students.
- In hospitals and nursing homes, International students are not allowed to operate on the patients, and they are only allowed to observe. Such a practice might seem biased and can badly affect the morale of the student.
- The training of surgery in Nepal is not conducted on dead bodies but is instead done on dummies, and this deprives the students of real experience.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Nepal
A degree of MBBS in Nepal comes with a lot of benefits as it is cheaper as compared to the private institutions in India. Nepal has good faculty in the MBBS colleges; some of the doctors are even Indians. After a degree of MBBS in Nepal, there are a lot of job opportunities. Firstly, the candidate can comfortably find a job in Nepal itself as the country has a lot of position for doctors. Secondly, the candidate can easily secure a job in India if the MBBS was done from a university that is recognised by MCI. Jobs are also easier to find as a candidate who has completed MBBS from Nepal does not need to sit for IELTS or TOEFL.
What is the Total Cost of MBBS in Nepal?
Nepal is cheap in comparison to private universities in India when it comes to studying MBBS. Here is a list of different college in Nepal, along with their total fees in order to give you an idea of the fee structure.
|Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar||Kathmandu University||50 Lakh|
|Universal College Of Medical Sciences||Tribhuvan University||55 Lakh|
|KIST Medical College, Imadol, Lalitpur||Tribhuvan University||46 Lakh|
|National Medical College, Birganj||Tribhuvan University||60 Lakh|
|Devdaha Medical College, Devdaha||Kathmandu University||45 Lakh|
|Nepal Ganj Medical College, Nepalganj||Kathmandu University||50 Lakh|
|Chitwan Medical College, Chitawan||Tribhuvan University||52 Lakh|
|Birat Medical College and Teaching Hospital, Biratnagar||Kathmandu University||46 Lakh|
|Manipal College Of Medical Sciences, Pokhara||Kathmandu University||50 Lakh|
|Lumbini Medical College and Research Centre, Palpa||Kathmandu University||45 Lakh|
|Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara||Tribhuvan University||45 Lakh|
|Janaki Medical College, Janakpur||Tribhuvan University||41 Lakh|
Apart from the nominal tuition fees, Nepal also comes with a promise of cheap accommodation for the students. The cost of living in Nepal is not very much, and the cost of meals is also very nominal and thus makes the country very pocket-friendly. To add to this, students also have the option of paying their fees in instalments. Nepal shares its border, and due to the proximity, it is easy to travel to this country without spending a lot of money.
Does Indian Student Require Passport and Visa to Study in Nepal?
Indian students who want to pursue a career in Nepal have it easy as they do not need Visa for Nepal. Even the Passport is not mandatory. As per the Nepalese Immigration, Indian Nationals travelling to Nepal must possess any one of the following documents:
- Driving license with photo
- Photo identity card issued by a Government Agency
- Ration Card with photo
- Election Commission card with photo
- Identity card issued by Embassy of India in Kathmandu
- Identity card with photo issued by a sub-divisional magistrate or any other officials above his rank
List of MCI approved Medical Colleges in Nepal?
- Biratnagar Medical College, Biratnagar
- Devdaha Medical College
- Karol Marcinkowski Medical University, Poznan
- Kathmandu Medical College, Kathmandu
- Nepal Medical College and Teaching Hospital
- Manipal College Of Medical Sciences, Pokhara
- Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar
- Nepal Ganj Medical College, Nepal
- Lumbini Medical College, Palpa
- Universal College Of Medical Sciences
- National Medical College, Birganj
- Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara
- KIST Medical College
- Chitwan Medical College, Chitwan
- Janaki Medical College