India has nearly 370 medical colleges and every year 50, 000 MBBS seats are up for grabs. This means that only a few students get a chance to clear through and get an admission in any of these colleges. However, the desire to be an MBBS doctor burns bright in the hearts of all these students. In such a situation it is better to apply for a seat in a country like the Philippines which provides good quality education at the lowest cost possible. The standard of MBBS education in the Philippines is at the same level as the USA thus enhancing its viability as an important location.
Not only that the citizens of the country are extremely polite and Indian students who have moved to the country have vouched for the treatment received. Low crime rate and decent living standards add up to the advantages of staying in the country and getting an MBBS degree from here. Moreover, all the colleges are recognised by reputed organisations like MCI and WHO, and after completion of the course, you can very easily get a job in any part of the world.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in the Philippines at Lowest Package
When we start considering a country to acquire an MBBS degree, naturally we want one which gives us high-quality education along with affordable prices in terms of fees and stay. The medium of course in the Philippines is English, and most students love staying in the carefree environment of the country. All the MCI approved medical colleges in the Philippines follow a designated course curriculum style which is quite inspired by the USA style.
Every year around 8000 international students gain admission in the Philippines, and this shows the popularity the same has managed to gain. Moreover, the climate of the region is quite similar to that of India. So when any Indian student moves to the country, it is easy for him to adapt to the changes seen. You get these benefits and more all at affordable prices, and thus many students want to consider the Philippines.
MBBS from Philippines Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
To get admission in the Philippines in MBBS degree you need to fulfil certain requirements. These are mandatory and not able to adhere to them can hamper your chances of getting in. Let us have a quick look at them.
- Education– It is a given that you have to clear your class XIII exam in science stream. Overall you need to get at least 50 % aggregate marks in your boards to be considered in any of the colleges.
- SC/ST category– Students from SC/ST or OBC category would have to pass their class XIII exam with aggregate 40% marks. Also English should have been a compulsory subject, and student needs to clear all his exams.
- NEET exam– As per the latest guidelines, you would have to clear your NEET exam to proceed further with your admission. However, you can inquire from the college about the application of this role.
What Documents Required for MBBS in Philippines 2019?
Naturally, you won’t get an admission in MBBS until you have all your documents in place. It is important that you get all the papers processed in advance else you might miss the deadline for admission. Here is a list of all the important documents needed.
- Invitation letter from the college or University
- Original passport having a validity of at least two years
- Your 10+2 level mark sheet
- Medical certificate and also an HIV certificate
- Bank statement of parents and the child (minimum balance should be 4 lakh)
- Photographs as per the guidelines decided
- An affidavit on a stamp paper, the format for which is readily available
- A certificate in case there has been a gap in the education
- Travel insurance
- A valid return ticket
Why Study MBBS in the Philippines is a Good Decision?
The Philippines for a good number of years was under the rule of the USA. Thus the kind of curriculum devised for MBBS in the Philippines is quite similar and at the same level as that of the USA. Placing more emphasis on practical learning the kind of education given raises the bar of quality. In the Philippines, there are always enough patients, and thus interns also get a chance to practice their skills and knowledge at an in-depth level.
Universities offering MBBS degree in Philippines have been designed such that they address the needs of the population of the world. Thus, when students studying from here get a chance to practice their knowledge abroad, it is not tough for them to do so. Since the courses are approved by MCI, the students can come back and work in Indian jobs as well.
The Philippines is an English speaking country, and once the students reach here, they do not feel any disadvantage due to the language barrier. The safety standards of the country are high, and there are very limited chances of any student facing any trouble. Indian food is easily available, and people visiting here do not feel as if they have entered a new country or set up.
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in the Philippines
Though the Philippines is one of the easiest to adjust countries when it comes to education there are still some challenges which student find difficult to overcome. Have a look at some of these.
- MCI Exam– Once you complete your MBBS degree in the Philippines, you would have to appear for an MCI exam in India. This is done to see your calibre for practising in India. However, you can only give three tries to this test and if you do not qualify you would not be able to practice.
- Duration of Course– The duration and pattern of an MBBS course in the Philippines are entirely different from that offered in India. Normally that means a student studying here may feel a little out of place if he wishes to come back and resume practice in India.
Facilities Provided to Indian Students in the Philippines
There are numerous facilities that Indian students in the Philippines can avail of when they are in the country. Going through them can justify whether you want to go ahead with the same or not.
- A highly competitive tuition fee in comparison to other countries
- No donations
- Internships in any of the high-quality hospitals
- Hostel facility with 24-hour power, CCTV camera, and security, comfortable beds, air-conditioned rooms, sofa, fans, microwave, refrigerator, dining table, study table, cupboards, washing machines, etc.
- Good food as per the taste if Indian students. Most of the hostel campuses provide tasty food at the doorstep for Indian students. Having that facility stops you from feeling any discomfort due to shifting to a new location.
Course Duration of MBBS in the Philippines
An MBBS degree in the Philippines is different from other countries. The duration of the course is for six years and is divided into three portions, i.e. BS, MD, an internship. BS is an initial medical course which is divided into four semesters and can be completed within 1.5 to 2 years. After this course, you are supposed to appear for the National Medical Admission Test (NMAT). Once this test is cleared, you can move forward to the second level of studies, i.e. MD. In case the test is not cleared you are supposed to appear again. Also if you have already done BS from another country, you can straight away apply for the MD course which is for four years. As soon as both the courses are done, you can apply for further internship in any hospital or clinic.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in the Philippines
The fees for studying MBBS in the Philippines ranges anywhere from 11-18 lakhs for the overall course. However, the fees would not include the hostel and staying costs involved.
College name Annual fee
AMA School of Medicine, Makati Campus, Metro Manila 15, 62,500
University of Perpetual Help 18, 12,500
Angeles University Foundation 20, 15,000
Our Lady of Fatima University 23, 14,000
AMA School of Medicine, Makati Campus, Manila- MD Course 11, 87,500
University of Perpetual Help- MD Course 14, 37,500
Bicol Christian College of Medicine 5.5 year Course 11, 25,000
Emilio Aguinaldo College of Medicine 5.5 year Course 18, 93,750
Davao Medical School Foundation 19, 50,000
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in the Philippines for Indian Students
There are many advantages of studying an MBBS course from the Philippines, and one major one is the fact that it is acknowledged by MCI, WHO, IMED and ECFMG. Students receive an international degree which matches up to the standards. Apart from that some other advantages of studying MBBS here are as below:
- Mode of communication is English as the country speaks that language.
- You do not have to pay donation or Capitation fee
- An internationally acclaimed degree can work anywhere in the world.
- Extremely low cost of living and affordable fees
- High quality of education provided
- No sort of security threat to the students in any form
- Polite and respectful people
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in the Philippines
Apart from the advantages, most students would want to know if there are any disadvantages to choosing the MBBS course in the Philippines. Let us have a look at that too.
- The Philippines medical degree does not straight away gain you an entry in the same. First, you have to undergo a two year BS course. Once you have cleared the test after then, only you can hope for admission in the MD course. Needless to say that the test is quite tough and clearing it is not an easy task.
- Course duration is of six years total after which internship starts. This is different from the Indian MBBS system, and students may find it tough to stay at pace.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from the Philippines
After an MBBS from the Philippines, any student can get a job or can start his practice in India. This is because most colleges here are offering degrees that are recognised by MCI. Moreover, the quality of education is at the same level as that of the USA. Hence those who can get a degree from here are given a preference when it comes to picking up from a huge database of doctors.
1) What is the total cost of MBBS in the Philippines?
Philippines medical course cost is considered to be amongst the lowest ones in comparison to other countries. A fairly easy country to live in most colleges here offer you an MBBS degree for anywhere between 11-18 lakhs overall cost. This cost, however, does not include the hostel and living charges. However, the country is not very expensive, and that overhead is also adhered to thus making your overall budget not get disturbed.
2) Does Indian Student Require Passport & Visa to study in Philippines?
Yes, an Indian student would need a Passport and visa to study in the Philippines. The passport must have validity if two years or more otherwise your candidature may not be considered after all. It is crucial that you adhere to this requirement as it is one of the most important guidelines set.
3) What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in the Philippines?
There are many MCI approved medical colleges in the Philippines. Here is a concise list of their names.
- Emilio Aguinaldo College of Medicine
- Bicol Christian College of Medicine
- Lyceum Northwestern University
- Davao Medical School Foundation
- Cagayan State University
- Angeles University Foundation
- De La Salle University-Health Sciences
- Cebu Institute of Medicine
- University of Northern Philippines
- Our Lady of Fatima University
It is evident that studying MBBS from the Philippines is an enticing proposition indeed. While on one side you get an MBBS degree of US standards in affordable rates on the other the environment is conducive for you to have a pleasant stay there. However, before taking the plunge do read all the pros and cons as only then you would be able to make a strong decision which would better your future career prospects.