MBBS in Ukraine: Ukraine is an Eastern European country. This country shares borders with Russia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Belarus, and Moldova. This country has the second largest number of medical postgraduates in Europe. There are a large number of medical colleges offering quality undergraduate and postgraduate medical courses to local as well as international students. These courses are recognized by WHO, UNESCO, and MCI.
In India, the number of people competing for the very little number of medial seats is very high. After the introduction of NEET, it has become a tedious task to prepare for the competitive exam along with board exams. In several states like Tamil Nadu, admissions to medical colleges were solely based on the board exam scores. But, the system has now changed. There have been mixed responses to the compulsory imposition of NEET. Medical education has proven to become a very expensive affair if private colleges are going to be considered. Getting into a government college that offers the same education at much lower fees may not be possible for every student. Therefore, if NEET scores aren’t good enough, a medical aspirant might not be able to pursue MBBS. It is in these cases that colleges in countries like Ukraine may help.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in Ukraine at Lowest Cost
Ukraine has been gaining popularity for medical education of late. There are a number of world class universities run by the government. They offer MBBS and MD courses for students from all over the world. The price is also affordable. Degrees obtained from Ukrainian universities are valid all over the world. This makes it easy for the student to apply for jobs in any part of the world.
The quality of medical education in Ukraine is very good and it is known all over the world. The education system is also considered very robust here. The technology and the lab facilities in Ukrainian universities are advanced. The members of faculty are prominent members in the medical field who hold high degrees from top universities in the world. Moreover, there are MCI approved colleges in Ukraine. This ensures uniform standards of education.
The tuition fees in Ukrainian universities for MBBS is about 25 lakh rupees. This is much lower than what a private college in India will charge a student. The student can procure admission in Ukraine without appearing for IELTS. The medium of instruction is English in most of the universities.
MBBS from Ukraine – Eligibility Criteria
Admission process in Ukraine is simple and easy. There is no need of a valid IELTS of TOEFL score. The criterion that a student must fulfill in order to get admitted in a medical college in Ukraine are:
- Before the 31st of December of the year of admission, the student should have completed 17 years of age.
- The student should secure 50% marks in the 12th standard or higher secondary school examination. The student should have compulsorily studied physics, chemistry and biology under any recognized education board in India. SC/ST students should have scored at least 40%.
- Students who have not qualified NEET-UG are required to produce an eligibility certificate issued by the Medical Council of India while seeking admission in foreign medical universities.
- Open school students are not eligible for admission in medical colleges in Ukraine.
Documents Required for MBBS in Ukraine
- Academic requirements: A minimum of 50 % marks in twelfth grade (10+2) with Physics, Chemistry or Biology
- Other requirements: Valid passport, welcome letter from the university, affirmation letter, visa, expenses for the academic year, 20 travel permit measure photographs, flight tickets and financial status of guardians.
In many cases, the agents ease the process of procuring a visa and help the student get the same at the earliest.
Why is Studying MBBS in Ukraine a Good Decision?
Ukraine is a great country to study in. Following are the reasons that make it a good pick for studying MBBS at:
- The quality of education and the academic framework in Ukraine is great.
- The colleges receive a large amount of financial help from the government. So, the facilities are usually very good.
- The cost of study in and travel to and from Ukraine is low.
- The institutions do not take any donations while admitting the students.
- There are several extra-curricular activities for the students to be a part of and socialize with the members of international community. This also makes them more dynamic individuals.
- There are several technical and non-technical workshops regularly conducted for the students.
Few Challenges Faced in MBBS in Ukraine
There are a few challenges associated with studying in Ukraine.
The first of them all, is the climate of Ukraine. It is quite cold and chill most of the time there. It is a little difficult for Indian students to adapt to this quickly. They take some time to settle in, and during this time, they are likely to have acute illnesses.
It is also desirable to know the local language, but not compulsory. In order to fit into the country, it is important to at least a little of the local language.
The next problem might arise because of food habits there. Vegetarian food may be difficult to find.
Just like any other advancing European country, Ukraine has a fair amount of pubs and discos that may distract a few of the students.
Facilities Provided to Indian Students in Ukraine
Students in Ukraine do not have to shell a lot of money for their living expenses. They are given discounts in transportation, movie tickets, and food in restaurants. There are hostel facilities in the colleges that the students can avail. In many colleges, there are messes that offer Indian food to the students.
The crime rate is relatively low in Ukraine and there is no racial discrimination. Everybody can enjoy equal status in Ukrainian colleges. It is also a popular tourist destination among Europeans.
There are preparatory courses conducted for non-Ukrainian speakers. This helps the Indian students learn the local language in order to be able to communicate with the local patients.
Course Duration of MBBS in Ukraine
The MBBS course in Ukraine is six years long including both theory and practical sessions. The course is known as MD and the six years period includes a three-year or one-year long internship. The duration of the internship depends on the university.
There is no exam that a student is required to clear in order to study MBBS in Ukraine. The most common fields that Ukrainian colleges offer medical degrees in are General medicine, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, Dentistry, and Surgery.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Ukraine
The fee structure in Ukraine differs from university to university and city to city depending on the ranking of the colleges. But, on average, the first year of study may be the costliest, costing about five lakh rupees. This amount includes tuition fees as well as living expenses. The fee per year for the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth year will be around four lakh rupees.
Hostel and mess facilities can be availed by the students and these facilities are provided at affordable prices.
Listed below are the major advantages of studying MD (equivalent to MBBS) in Ukraine:
- Ukrainian colleges and universities are recognized by WHO, UNESCO, MCI and other medical regulatory bodies across the world.
- The tuition fees and living expenses sum up to be lesser than the fees an Indian private college would charge.
- The medium of instruction is English.
- The labs and infrastructure facilities are given importance and hence, are very good.
- There are a large number of opportunities to be part of international exchange programs and conferences. These opportunities help the student develop into a more dynamic individual.
- Indian students can come back to India and practice here with approval from the Medical Council of India.
There are a few names associated with studying MD (equivalent to MBBS) in Ukraine. They are:
- Many students are scammed by agents in the name of helping them with admissions with scholarships in Ukraine. Ukrainian colleges do not give any scholarships to Indian students.
- To practice in Ukraine, it is important to know the local language.
- The climate may not be very suitable for all the students.
- Admissions are not direct; agents have to be approached for admission.
- The payment of fees is through agents and not directly to the colleges.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Ukraine
If a student wishes to come back to India and practice after studying MBBS in Ukraine, he/she is required to clear FMGE exam. The students may pursue studies in reputed Indian medical schools after clearing the necessary exams. They can also find jobs in research areas and work in the industry.
Studying MBBS in Ukraine is surely a lucrative option. But, it is important for the student to make informed decisions regarding the same in order to ensure that he/she doesn’t get scammed and fooled by fraudulent agents.
What is the total cost of MBBS in Ukraine?
The total fees for six years may sum up to forty lakh rupees approximately.
Does Indian Student Require Passport & Visa to study in Ukraine?
Yes, a valid passport is required. Students from India should obtain their visas from VFS visa center in New Delhi.
What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Ukraine?
Following is the list of MCI approved medical colleges in Ukraine:
- Bukovinian State Medical University BSMU
- Dnepropetrovsk State Medical Academy DSMA
- Ivano-Frankivsk State Medical Academy IFSMA
- Kharkiv National Medical University KNMU
- Kyiv Medical University of UAFM, Kyiv
- National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya
- Odessa National Medical University (ONMU)
- O O Bogomolets National Medical University
- Poltava Ukrainian Medical And Dental University (UMSA)
- Sumy State University, Sumy
- Ukranian Medical and Dental Academy as (Poltava State National Medical Dental University) UMDA
- Uzhhorod National University, Ukraine
- V N Karazin University
- Zaparozhyea State Medical University ZSMU